Monday, October 30, 2006

pachyderms


I dream strange dreams these days:

Yesterday I travelled inside a huge building, with busses and tramways driving along the corridors and there were time tables too...

Today I dreamt I was on my way in a muddy landscape to meet a friend by the sea. I come to a little hill rising in front of me with hundreds of vultures sitting there or flying around it. They eat people who are hurt and bleeding and I see that some of the birds even miss a leg that the others have eaten. I'm not really scared, but I'm not crazy either, so I go back.

Suddenly I see two baby elephants lying in the mud and playing. I stop, amazed and happy, because I have never seen any elephants of course (and no vultures too...). Their mother appears and I know she's probably going to think that I want to harm her children, so I run away. As I turn around, one of the little elephants showers my back - I feel warm water running down my spine.

I consider that I could maybe calmly explain myself to the elephant-mother, so there's no need to run away. I don't really know what to tell her, but I simply want to be in their presence.

I meet her in a dingy bathroom (I think it is even in the house I travelled in yesterday?). Her eyelashes make the air on my right cheek swirl. I see her huge head next to me reflected in the mirror, the trunk gently swinging above the sink, the warm and wrinkly skin of her left shoulder close to mine. I don't dare to touch her and I don't think she would like it. We don't talk, we are just standing side by side.

And suddenly I am sitting in a train and I see the sundown on the northern sea through its dirty windows. I hold my face out the window. I know I'm going to meet my friend.

No comments: