Monday, November 06, 2006

update

Winter has now become a fact here in Lund. The first snow arrived punctually on November 1st, together with a huge bill for the dentist (85 € for one little filling that had fallen out of my tooth, can you believe it?). Also, our concierge had mercy on us and turned on the radiators. Mh, it's a good feeling to go to bed without dressing like an explorer of the Arctic first (socks, scarf, pull-over, long pants)... And while I'm typing this, I'm drying my toes on the radiator - because now, the snow has gone and true winter has begun and that means: RAIN! RAIN! RAIN! Hihi, but I still don't regret being here (did I mention that it's dark at half past four?)...


I'm a bit disappointed that my camera was not able to capture the snow-storm on November 1st, so please just believe me that we have been close to the end of the world.


Last Saturday I went to the first Halloween-party of my life! Usually I hate dressing up, but I thought that I could make an exception. The party took place in a student corridor, St. Lars, which used to be a psychiatric clinic - and that's just what it still looks and feels like! White walls, huge cold rooms, barred windows, long sad corridors. Perfect for Halloween!
And most people actually had made an effort to dress up as something unusual.

I was The Night, which is easy, because all that you need is a lot of black (black gown, black mask), glitter and stars everywhere (eyes, hair, skin...). But I prepared a little bag filled with surprises (nightmares, black cats, sweet dreams, shooting stars...) people could pick.

I also had the opportunity to do some gender and cultural studies: people, especially men, don't like masks. But while they show respect to a male stranger hiding behind a mask, they think they can do whatever they want to reveal a disguised woman's identity. Conclusion: fix your masks firmly, girls! Pay attention to the hands coming out of nowhere! Don't hesitate to sacrifice your drink or other appropriate items to defend yourself!

Master and Slave at St. Lars' Halloween

Next day I was at the manifestation against climate change. It was all very Swedish: short, unexcited, everything well-scheduled. At least we all got cold enough to warm up with coffee, tea and delicious home-made cake made by the lovely old ladies at Theo's place.

Learn from the Swedes:
5° are still no reason for drinking your coffee inside!

3 comments:

lolo/ said...

I love the pics, especially the third one.
Although my toes are totally frozen too as my converse have holes (snif), I can't find a single place for them on the radiator as jeans and socks are covering it. Sweden you know.
Hope ur doing well young lady
Laurent/
PS: don t tell my master I left a comment here without his permission!

artemis said...

No need to be afraid - I'll put in a good word for you! :)

Good luck with the socks and jeans and your shoes (if you ask nicely, your Master will maybe donate some Scotch for the holes?)...

We'll see @ the National Dinner?

Anonymous said...

ZED!! What have I told thee? No food in the dinner for you tonight!