Wednesday, October 04, 2006

opa! opa!

Following the magic scents in the enchanted Botanic Garden
***

Basically, you run into a lot of friends every day here in Lund just while walking from one library to the other. The other day I met Theo on his new purple bike, doing what he likes most here: getting lost in the city. So we fixed an appointment for today to get lost together.

It seems to me that this Greek guy has the gift of detecting the most enchanted places just by straying in the streets thinking some philosophical thoughts(needless to mention that he lives in a kind of gingerbread-house...). So after forgetting time in a charming antique shop run by an even more charming Swedish lady (who even fed my hungry hungry art-historian brain) we kind of stumbled on the old cemetary. This, my friends, is definitely the most beautiful place to be dead I have ever seen (right after the cemetary of Hallstatt). We basically just tumbled from one enchanted spot to the other - after the cemetary it was the huge Botanic Garden, which is stuffed with all sorts of trees and herbs and flowers from all over the world (I know this is the purpose of such a place...) and the most dazzling multitude of ethereal scents one could ever imagine.

It is now pretty clear that I'll absolutely have to go to Greece one day (ok, let me see, just after I have visited all these people from New Zealand, Germany, Russia and Spain...). I mean, just the fact that Greeks have one little word to express the whole range of human emotions wows me so deeply that I won't be able to think about anything else than this wise people for days. Listen, opa! is not only used to express your feelings of joy (e.g. while dancing), but also when you or someone else behave in a very clumsy way (like "oops!"), or again when you are attacked physically or verbally to put the person back in it's place.

It is fascinating how being abroad gives you the opportunity to discover both the foreign and mainly the own culture from a totally new point of view. I look at the notion of national identity in a completely new way now, and most of all, I like what I see.

Push the button to see more pictures...


Swedish antique shop


old cemetary

Botanic Garden

Autumn sun

No comments: