Monday, February 26, 2007

parsva bakasana!

Uncork the champagne!
Usually it's when you stop forcing them that things finally happen. That's what I have to keep telling myself whenever I practice the more challenging poses: stay playful and just try, but do give your very best.
So, when I suddenly felt my feet up in the air and my knee perfectly balanced on my arms this morning, I felt like... mmmh... I have tried parsva bakasana many times before, just to avoid the humiliation the next time I try to carry a beer crate up the stairs. And all these times, I remained clueless about how my crow should actually take off... I could do a crow, but a side crow requires even more strength, it seemed.

This is a beautiful pose. A wise person writes that it unites surrender and strength; and, well, he's right. It's everything; a nice twist for the lower back, a balancing pose, a tremendous strengthener for the torso, and a lot of fun because your body is in a totally unusual position - prepare to be startled...
You basically squeeze everything you have (legs together, knees to belly, feet to butt), you pull, you push, and when you feel like a muscular ball under high voltage, you simply lean forward - you trespass the point on which you fear that you might crash-land on your nose - and give yourself to gravity. Tada! And now the cherry on top: breath deeply.

No comments: